Why have private medical Insurance?
If you’re looking for private medical insurance, it’s usually to ensure that you and your family will have choices and peace of mind in the event that anything goes wrong.With limited resources, the public health system has to rationalise its resources, and often non-acute treatment or assessment sees you consigned to the waiting list. Balancing these competing needs means that you may not have a choice of when and where you receive treatment and whether you have access to the latest treatment or medicines.
The Heath Funds Association of New Zealand annual report for 2009/10 showed that private medical insurance claims totalled around $779 million.
Five reasons to have private medical insurance
Having private medical insurance makes sense:
1. No queues – you get access to fast treatment when and where it suits you.
2. Peace of mind – you won’t always be in good health, and should the worst happen, you can get access to quick treatment.
3. Environment – you’ll be treated in a comfortable environment with excellent care and service to speed up your recovery.
4. Choice of hospitals – with our private medical cover you can choose from the extensive private hospital lists.
5. Privacy – the comfort and convenience of your own room should you need.
Trauma Cover provides a lump sum payment should you suffer one of the covered conditions. Coveredconditions are by nature serious and potentially life threatening and, as a result, can have a significant financial impact.
Trauma Cover is designed to help alleviate this financial impact. The lump sum can help reduce debt, purchase specialised equipment, pay for home modifications, provide additional care, create an investment fund to generate on going income or enable business ownership to be restructured, amongst other things. The purpose of the funds is entirely yours to decide.
Income Cover provides a financial safety net should you suffer a total or partial disability which causes a reduction in your ability to earn your normal income and which lasts longer than the chosen waiting period.
The monthly benefit is designed to replace a significant portion of lost income to help maintain your usual lifestyle during treatment and recovery.
Private Medical Cover provides the funding to enable you to have private hospital treatment whenever you require more immediate access or a broader range of treatment options than are available to you through the public health system.